For Piano Teachers and Students

I want to collaborate with many piano teachers to offer new ideas, techniques, and ways to improve our studios and give students the confidence to succeed in making music a positive experience

Friday, June 3, 2011

Your own Children


I read a great article about your own children in piano here. It really made me think about our recent adventures that my daughter and I have had. She and I have been trying to have piano lessons every week. I even went to the extent of setting an alarm on my phone once a week. Despite my best intentions, we had a piano lesson about once a month, and usually there was an episode of tears involved. I get perplexed when no fun is involved, and my daughter is a perfectionist that expects to get things perfect from the beginning. The two of us don't see eye-to-eye very well. Then about 3 months ago, I worked out an arrangement with another piano teacher friend of mine. I teach her daughter and she teaches mine! She is much more disciplined and expects more from her students. I am more into my students having fun and enjoying the process. I think our differences really compliment each other, and both of our daughters are reaping the benefits.
My daughter is 8 and her teacher believed she could learn all of her scales and other requirements in 2 months for an upcoming "Piano Achievement Days" at our local music store. Not only did she succeed, but she earned a medallion for exceptional performance!! I was so proud of her accomplishment and the high expectations that her teacher had for her. Even though there were tears in our practicing sessions, the deadline motivated both of us to overcome the bumps. Now she does enjoy her medallion and her memorized pieces. I think it is great to have another perspective, sounding board, and mentor for your children.
Does anyone have good suggestions for how they help their children practice? I'd love some feedback on that subject. We are still narrowing down a routine:)

2 comments:

  1. This is something I have thought long and hard about, and have decided that I'm going to give teaching my own children a definite try. My husband and I both play, so between the two of us we'll do our best. However, if it's not working out, I have a good friend who also teaches and lives 2 streets over from us. I would send my children to her without second thoughts. This fall my little boy (age 5) will be starting officially, and we've been easing him in by teaching him things about music along the way. His Daddy even taught him how to play "Two Black Cats" and he couldn't be prouder. :)
    Good post topic! BTW, I blog over at www.forloveofpiano.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your daughter, who is the same age as mine, BTW! Your story sounds very similar to mine - until MB went to another teacher, we were sitting down together about once a month. And, then the new teacher ended expecting more of her than I would have, and she rose to the challenge! One of the challenges we have with practicing is that I have the piano busy in the afternoons after school, making it every harder for her to find practice time. We've been trying to do it after supper.

    ReplyDelete