For Piano Teachers and Students

I want to collaborate with many piano teachers to offer new ideas, techniques, and ways to improve our studios and give students the confidence to succeed in making music a positive experience

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Start - Up

OK, I will probably only post one or two times a week, but I wanted to start today off with what I call my "Studio Policy." Since I am in the process of rebuilding my business due to a move, I thought this would be a good place to start on the blog.
My policy starts with tuition and lessons: I state how much I charge per month and my policy on missed lessons. They still have to pay the full month amount if they do not call ahead. I also give them a chance to set up make-up lessons. I also include a $5.00 start up fee for the binder, spiral, and copies of sheets.
The next section is on purchasing music. I supply it because I know the books to get and can get them at a discount at certain stores. They are also encouraged to purchase a metronome, but I do not supply those.
Then comes the schedule: I split up the year into 3 sections, Jan - May, June-August, and Sept-December. I encourage lessons year-round, and have recitals in May and December.
Practicing is the next section: I encourage parents to work with their children on setting up a practice schedule, and I suggest an amount of time and days to practice
The last section is my motivating method: I use a piano box full of treats or little prizes. I never spend more that $1.00 on the items. After a set time allowance, they are able to "pick out of the box." I also tell the parents to give suggestions if they have ideas that will motivate their indivual child.
I also give my students a binder with tabs for
"Calendar" - this is where I keep track of how many minutes the kids practice, or they can also!, and I write in it upcoming events, or if there is a make-up lesson, etc.
"Songs" - is for copies of songs, or papers that can be put in one spot
"Reference" - is for sheets that have note names, symbol sheets, a hand posture sheet, and other things that they can refer to.
"Supplements" - is for other music info. I like to do an extra supplemental music unit in the summer where they can learn things like composers, genres, etc.
"Lesson" is the last section where I keep extra paper if they forget their spiral (which happens more often than I'd like to admit).
I also include a spiral for the notes on what the child should focus their practicing on for each piece.

So there is the "Start Up" in a nutshell. I'd love some comments and suggestions on some of the things you do with your studios! What do you do for the first lesson? etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment